as happens so often in life, things don’t go according to plan. AKA i forgot to do my “thursday things” post on both thursday and friday, so i’m doing one today. better late than never!
- gahhhhh all of our sunflowers are coming in down in the garden! like, they actually have blooms and flowers on them finally and they look GORGEOUS!
- i spent the morning and early afternoon with my brother, dmitri, and the kiddos that i babysit wandering around the columbus arts festival. it was 75 degrees of breezy, sunny, artistic perfection.
- oh yea, i love the kiddos to death. they’re all around 12-13 and behave super well. since i’ve only spent a week with em they’re not super chatty with me yet, but that’ll come in time. this week they taught me the finer points of baseball (which i promptly forgot), we took a trek to the movies and saw godzilla, lot’s of capri sun’s were consumed, and quite a bit of chalk art was created. SUCCESS!
- also, i am no longer working at the italian restaurant anymore. i decided that these are my last three months here in ohio to spend quality time with family and that’s exactly what i want to spend my free time doing, not working another job getting greasy in the back of a kitchen. i’m sure it would have been a wonderful experience, but it’s just not what i’m looking for right now.
- ohmygosh the new season of orange is the new black is on netflix!!!!!!!!! i haven’t had time to start watching it just yet, but when i do it’s going to be intense and all-consuming, so don’t expect me to leave my couch or respond to any text messages / phone calls / twitter interactions / etc.
- red lipstick is my thing. like fire engine red that’s so bright it’s obnoxious. my current fave is revlon’s color burst matte balm in the shade striking spectaculaire. it’s basically like a clinique chubby stick, only it’s cheaper and the lip stain lasts longer. win-win.
- in case ya’ll didn’t already know, i absolutely love cooking. like, now that i’m home for the summer, i am the cook in the house. if i don’t make something for dinner, then we all just end up eating cereal haha. anyway, my new favorite site to get recipes is how sweet it is, and you should definitely check it out. this girl’s stuff has tons of flavor and most of it can be made in a half hour or so, which is perfect for me.
- seriously though, the previously mentioned food blog is spectacular. her stuff is so delightful and simple that i’ve made at least 9 of her dishes over the past two weeks or so. my current favorites are the crispy honey lemon chicken (even if you don’t want em crispy and unhealthy, the honey lemon marinade is the best i’ve had in years!!), sweet corn and bacon greek yogurt chicken salad (which can be made up in advance and munched on all week!), just like chipotle’s corn salsa (seriously, it’s the best rendition of chipotle’s salsa that i’ve found online and i’m obsessed with it) , andddd these cappuccino brownies (which i really only made the icing and then put it on some of my favorite on-sale brownies from a box haha but they were still ON POINT).
- fun fact: my instagram account is wonderful and, if you’re not, you should be following me. i post pretty snazzy things and once i get to massachusets it’s only going to get better. i’m hoping that once i start working for the forestry foundation i’ll be out in the woods one day and take a casual selfie with a bear or something unbelievable like that. so stay tuned!
- going back to cooking for a quick sec, i’ve recently re-discovered my love for grilling. like, i will literally grill ANYTHING (thanks dad for instilling in me this handy habit!). during the past week or so i’ve grilled chicken, a hand-made pizza, and some delish bruschetta. nomnomnom!!